I suppose working at a major sports league makes you a ripe target for people in sales at SAAS startups to cold email you twice a week. Here is some guidance for people who employ this practice;
- Do include a link to a one-sheeter in early correspondence.
- Don’t assume I want to talk and send times that work for a ’15 minute phone chat’ in your first email… Mom told me not to talk to strangers.
- Do send a demo Dashboard that I can look at that is always accessible.*
- Don’t tell me your SDK takes 5 minutes to integrate, I don’t believe you. Parlay that question into easy to read Getting Started documentation.
- Do your research and include some chit chat in email relating to the person’s interests or product.
- Don’t email during the day. Email during downtime like early mornings, late nights, or weekends.
* - Decks suck, and waiting for you and your sales team to come to town and see your dashboard on a tv for 15 minutes is worse. See what Crittercism and Localytics have done. YouTube videos are better but still satisfactory.